USCIS may find an individual eligible for a U-Visa if the victim:

  • Is the direct or indirect victim of qualifying criminal activity
  • Has suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim
  • Has information about the criminal activity
  • Was helpful, is being helpful, or is likely to be helpful to law enforcement, prosecutors, judges
  • Admissible to the United States

The U-visa allows eligible victims to temporarily remain and work in the United States, generally for four years.


Human trafficking, also known as trafficking in persons, is a form of modern-day slavery.  Understanding that human trafficking victims without legal status may otherwise be reluctant to help in the investigation or prosecution, Congress created the T nonimmigrant status (“T visa”) program.

USCIS may find an individual eligible for a T-Visa if the victim:

  • Is or was a victim of a severe form of trafficking in persons (which may include sex or labor trafficking),
  • Is in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or at a U.S. port of entry due to trafficking;
  • Has complied with any reasonable request from a law enforcement agency for assistance in the investigation or prosecution of human trafficking;
  • Would suffer extreme hardship involving unusual and severe harm if removed from the United States.

The T-Visa allows eligible victims to temporarily remain and work in the U.S., generally for four years.

Deciding whether to apply for a U-Visa or a T-Visa can be challenging therefore, it is advisable to always consult an experienced immigration attorney.

For details and assistance in filing for U-Visa or T-Visa status, please schedule an initial consultation with Law Office of John Nwosu by selecting one of the contact options below